So this morning I nipped off from work for what I assumed would be a quick scan at the clinic a 5 minute drive away. 2 and a half hours later I was finally back at my desk. Every time I’ve been to the clinic on this cycle the waiting room has been packed, I can’t remember it ever being this busy on our last attempts. Maybe IVF is in this season?
25 mins (or 2 copies of Stylist magazine) later than scheduled I was called in for my date with ‘dildo-cam’. I’m becoming quite adept at shedding the bottom half of my clothing in seconds, I could have been in Bucks Fizz if only I’d been born 20 years earlier.
The scan showed around 17 follicles, 4 of them at 16mm and the rest between 10 – 12mm. My egg collection had originally been scheduled for this coming Monday but because of the amount of smaller follicles they’ve pushed it back to Wednesday and told me to continue with the Menopur for another couple of days in order to hopefully boost their size.
Prescription in hand I ventured off to another nearby hospital pharmacy to collect the extra drugs. I’ve never ever had a straightforward trip to this hospital, cue the standard routine;
- Drive round the car park cursing at lack of spaces
- Park in a 20 mins max drop off bay, safe in the knowledge that you’ll be in and out at lightening speed (yeah right)
- 5 to 15 mins in – Sit quietly worrying about being parked in said bay
- 15 – 20 mins in – Get increasingly agitated about the time it’s taking and spend another 10 mins debating whether to move the car whilst visualising clamping/fines
- 30 mins in – Decide you MUST move the car and leave the pharmacy
- Move car two spaces along
- Return to pharmacy having missed your prescription number being called out
I’m sure they wait until they see me leaving the building every time.
In between all the stress I also managed to take it out on my partner when he phoned to ask how things had gone, he’ll probably hide the Menopur when I get it home, he should hide the wine too (just kidding).
Anyway, after the initial disappointment of it being moved slightly I’m now back to my chilled self. If more time and more drugs is what it needs then so be it.
Also, on a purely selfish note it means that I can now definitely go to a gig that I’ve had tickets to for ages. If the dates hadn’t of changed there was a chance the transfer could have fallen on the date of the gig, the other half would have had me wrapped in cotton wool and under lock and key so I would have had to miss out. Every cloud n’all that!